Thursday 26 September 2013

Cricket @ 100

The inaugural match of the Champions League T20, between Rajasthan Royals and Mumbai Indians was held in Jaipur. I went to see that match with my friends. That was my rookie experience to watch a cricket match or any match in that respect, in the stadium. When you are not a fan of cricket, it becomes more special.

I never liked cricket. But I always tried to keep it to myself to avoid the scolding from my friends, cousins and significant others around me. Suddenly, we planned to go for a match and I thought what the hell, let’s just do it. And I consented in an impulse. As the day drew closer, I pondered upon it and thought to sell off the ticket. On the match day, there was a lot of drama. We tried to find a buyer and no one consented on our rates. So finally, I half heartedly boarded in the college bus to go. Then someone called for the tickets and I refused to sell it. I had changed my fickle mind again. Screw them; I am going to watch my first cricket match.

We reached at the stadium three hours prior to the entry time and it started raining. It’s very annoying when you have so much excitement in your heart and God literally starts pouring waters on it. Finally I entered the stadium and after the three levels of security checked an innocent boy, i.e.; me.


Wow!! I was dumbstruck. It was a feeling out if the world. As if I had entered another world. Why didn’t I come here sooner? Such vastness, such grandeur. I was mesmerized even by the empty stadium which was were gradually filling. Strangely enough, the rain felt complementing to our moods. As if it was also enjoying itself with us. The tiny raindrops looked like sparklings in the floodlights, so slow, so poised and so pure. All my perceptions had changed once I got in there.

The match was preceded by an energetic performance by Mika Singh. Finally the match started and I can’t believe that I actually enjoyed every ball of it. This was a special experience and day for me.
In my first experience, I had the best experience I could have. The rain had stopped and the breeze was soothing. It was Sachin and Dravid’s last CLT20 tournament. I saw LBW, bolds, catches, and a remarkably awesome run out. I screamed like hell, I danced like never before on every boundary and six. I had not felt this much charged up in a long time. I ended up with sour throat but I didn’t care. I was on fire.
I am glad I didn’t sell my ticket or else I would have missed the chance to feel the craziness for Sachin. No wonder he is the God of cricket. Legendary Dravid waved at us, I couldn’t miss that for the world.

I am glad I didn’t sell my ticket. 100 bugs but worth much more zeroes than that.


Y12 Undergraduate, The LNMIIT

No comments:

Post a Comment